Tuesday 10 July 2018

Step 1 - Practice with Saline, aka a Soft Start!

Okay day one of being hooked up to a pump and so far so good.
There was a minor bit of drama yesterday when clinic phoned me up because my pump had not arrived yet, luckily since I am running saline for the first week it's actually no major issue with me borrowing the clinic demo pump, so that's what is attached to me now.

I will admit that when I heard that they do the switchover as a 2 step process with the first week done pumping saline I was a little annoyed and impatient. Thinking "well why the hell are we doing that, it's just silly!" On further reflection I realised it's actually a rather sensible way of doing things since you can then "pretend" for the first week while you are still all good with the pens etc so there is nothing life cirtical going on in case you do run into some kind of issue with the new equipment.

The logistics issues that happened further cemented my view that this is actually a really smart was of doing this kind of thing since it gave us that degree of flexibility and I didn't get delayed or anything like that... which is awesome!

So how did we get on, well first off I went with the DanaRS, and it's a cute little pump, supposed to be one of the lightest around too!

One of the major selling points with the DanaRS is that you can run it with an App from your phone, or with AndoirdAPS as it has some open API's to manage it. Well that's what I thought but the AnyDana-A didn't want to see the pump so maybe this is the whole "waiting for CE approval" thing rearing it's ugly head. No worries, I have AndroidAPS installed to I fired that up and connected first time no issue... sweet!

So after running through the things I had learned in the videos for priming the pump, which is a faf compared to many though the AndroidAPS option trumps that, I had everything all primed and confirmed as good by my pump educator. Time to plug in and get started then.

That is where we are up to now, my new (loaner) pump happily sitting doing it's thing and I generate even more data. This is really quite the soft start and hopefully I will be all used to sleeping with this thing attached and then next week the real work starts. Let's see what happens then.

I would like to say that my pump educator Helen was absolutely fantastic and was completely open to looping and was very interested in all aspects of it. We dug through the various parts of my nightscout site and we were both impressed when all of my profile settings just got applied to the pump, super slick!

No comments:

Post a Comment