Thursday 12 July 2018

What you don't think to ask

Okay first 24 hours of pumping (saline) are now complete and yet again I cannot the convey just how amazing my pump educator at Addenbrookes has been.
Before I even got back to the office she had already emailed me a bunch of stuff we had discussed and by that time I had also realised a whole bunch of things I forgot to ask.
Several emails to and fro and I had a load more information and had updated my GOTH Plan (GOne to Hell) to include the contact details and processes. Excellent, probably a little overboard but I like to have all the details I may need before I REALLY need them.

All things going well, having pump attached not really an issue. I tried belt clip even though no belt on my shorts which was great except the clip was digging into me (really need to lose some weight) so reverted to tucking in my pocket. This was great until I reached into my pocket to check something on the pump out of curiosity and found that I was tugging at the pipe work which was just annoying more than anything... need to think this one through.

Something that I did kind of do what jot down a few questions I wanted to ask at the clinic and then completely forgot about them (must have been something new and shiny distracting me) and only got a few answered. As it turned out the questions I had noted down to ask were more or less of no consequence as it turned out however a couple of days in I have been helped in equal measure by both the pump clinic and the #GBDoc, sometimes you just can't beat real first person experience talking.

So what are some of the questions I didn't ask at the time but have since and gotten answers for, bold is the ones I will go for:

  • Where do I put the pump when I am taking clothes off and have nothing to clip the pump to? Here is what I tried and what was suggested.
    • I tried putting it on the chest of drawers but it fell off when I bent over (only 60cm tube)
    • Take it off (DOH!.... At the time it just did not occur to me)
    • Hold it under your chin (Good idea but I suck at that trick)
    • Drop it on the bed (Might have worked but short tube)
  • Do I need to update my letter for airport security?
    • Yes, clinic sent over electronic copy and will put a couple printed ones in post too.
  • What do I do to order extra consumables?
    • This seems to be clinic specific from what I have seen. At my clinic they have it centralised so that they can see who is using what (also some cost savings too apparently) but they did explain that they have found where people needed different cannula purely by seeing that patient X is ordering a lot of them.
    • Educator sent over main mailbox for re-orders as well as direct email for person responsible as well as her phone number. (Sweet!)
  • Am I okay to order extras when I do not need them to stock up for travel etc?
    • Of course (Duh! Still worth checking I thought)
I am under no illusions that this list will grow a LOT since I am still not pumping insulin. I should say that the leaflet that the clinic gave me about what to do on the days leading up to the switch was excellent. Obviously it changes depending on the basal insulin you are taking but they covered off all different ones in use and what to do as well as providing a checklist of what you need to bring along on the day.

I may have said it before but the communication with the pump educator at the clinic has been fantastic. Any question that popped into my head I fired off an email and got a response really quickly. I did wonder if all these random questions would make sense being compiled into a leaflet but to be honest I think I have liked how I could reach out to the clinic as easily and quickly as I have been so that has been a lesson learned there too!

Next steps in order are:
  • Unsupervised solo set change (tonight 😲)
  • Start pumping the strong stuff (next Tuesday)
So interesting times ahead, this should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment